Acid Reflux disease is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach. The esophagus or food pipe is the tube stretching from the throat to the stomach. When food is swallowed, it travels down the esophagus.
Causes of acid reflux-
- Suffering from Hiatus hernia
- Consuming large meals and lying down immediately after a meal.
- Being overweight or obese.
- Midnight snacking
- Consuming foods such as citrus, tomato, chocolate, mint, garlic, onions, or spicy or fatty foods
- Drinking alcoholic beverages, carbonated drinks , coffee or tea.
Taking aspirin, ibuprofen , certain muscle relaxers, or blood pressure medications.
Symptoms- Commonly seen symptoms of acid reflux-
Heartburn: a burning pain or discomfort that may move from your stomach to your abdomen or chest, or even up into your throat.
Regurgitation: a sour or bitter-tasting acid backing up into your throat or mouth
Other symptoms of acid reflux disease include:
- Bloating,hiccups and Burping.
- Bloody vomit and stools
- Weight loss without a reason.
BEST WAYS TO TREAT ACID REFLUX DISEASE-
- Don't eat large meals. Eating a lot of food at one time increases the amount of acid needed to digest it. Eat smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day.
- Don't eat within 3 hours of bedtime. This allows your stomach to empty and acid production to decrease.
- Don't lie down right after eating at any time of day.
- Avoid fatty or greasy foods, chocolate, caffeine, mints or mint-flavored foods, spicy foods, citrus, and tomato-based foods.
- Avoid drinking alcohol. Alcohol increases the likelihood that acid from your stomach will back up.
- Stop smoking. Smoking is known to increase reflux.
- Try and Lose excess weight. Overweight and obese people are much more likely to have bothersome reflux than people of healthy weight.
- Stand upright or sit up straight, maintain good posture. This helps food and acid pass through the stomach instead of backing up into the esophagus.
FOODS THAT CAN AGGRAVATE ACID REFLUX DISEASE-
The diet for acid reflux is one of elimination.Certain foods may stimulate the production of stomach acid and may irritate the esophagus.People with ACID REFLUX DISEASE should avoid the following foods.
- Onions and garlic
- Fatty foods
- Coffee (caffeinated and decaffeinated), tea, cola, energy drinks
- Spicy foods
- Tomato and citrus juices