Acai berry is a small, reddish-purple drupe consisting of a cluster of seeds, with only around 15 percent or so being edible. These berries are also quite perishable, but have significant nutritional attributes when eaten fresh. Acai berries are considered one of the top superfoods, generally due to their incredible antioxidant properties, and are said to have numerous other health benefits.
BENEFITS OF ACAI BERRY
- Powerful Antioxidant: The acai berry contains antioxidants that fight free radicals.Too many free radicals can cause damage to human tissues and lead to a wide variety of medical disorders, including heart disease. The acai berry's deep purple pigment is responsible for its antioxidant benefits.
- Heart Healthy:In addition to antioxidants, acai berries also have a large amount of plant sterols, which act as vasodilators(widening of blood vessels) and relax blood vessels to reduce blood pressure, prevent blood clots that can lead to strokes and heart attacks, and generally improve the circulation and oxygenation of the blood.
- Glowing skin: Many beauty products contain acai oil for its antioxidants. Eating acai berries or using them in skin care products are a wonderful natural way to get glowing skin.
- Immune Defense: Acai berries are very high in Vitamin C which gives your immune system a boost. Drinking an acai smoothie when you feel a cold coming on could give your immune system the healthy boost it needs to fight off the cold.
- Energy Boost: Many people claim that they feel more energized when they regularly eat acai berry smoothies and capsules. Due to its overall health benefits, consuming acai can lead to an increased overall level of energy, and may combat fatigue and exhaustion. Try making a smoothie for yourself when you need a boost!
- Weight Loss: Pulp of the acai berry can help in weight loss. It not only stimulates weight loss, but can also help people maintain a healthy weight by reducing the negative impact of high-fat diets.The high fiber content of acai berries can also reduce appetite and stop hunger pains associated with overeating and weight gain.
- Cancer Prevention: Acai is a wonderful source of vitamin-C, which is a well-known immunity booster and can generally improve your ability to fight off many diseases, including cancer. Besides the immunity boosting ability of vitamin-C, the ellagic acid in acai berries also aids in the fight against cancerous cells.
NUTRITIONAL COMPOSITION FOR 100gms OF ACAI BERRY
Complex carbohydrate (g)
5 WAYS TO ADD ACAI BERRY IN YOUR DIET
- Breakfast: Start your day off right by adding acai to your breakfast. You can add the pulp on top of your pancakes or waffles. If you enjoy cereal and oatmeal, then you can add the pulp, juice or the powder for extra nutrients.
- Cooking: Acai juice can be substituted for all other juices or wines which are required in your cooking recipes. It works great for your marinades, sauces and salad dressings, as it goes well with meat, as well as salads and steamed or raw vegetables.
- Snacks: Stir the pulp in with your favorite yogurt and enjoy! In the summer time, you can freeze acai juice into pop sickles to help you stay cool on hot days.
- Drinks:Add some acai powder, pulp or juice to your morning fruit and vegetable smoothies. Acai goes well with just about any other fruit or vegetable and adds more nutrients to the drink to keep you energized longer.
- Supplements: An easy way to add acai to your diet is with supplements. Simply take 2 capsules daily before your meals to improve your digestion of foods. You may not be able to find acai at your local grocery store, but most health foods stores usually carry 1 or more products of acai. You can also purchase the products online, but make sure that you read all the labels to ensure that it is 100 percent natural.
FEW SIDE-EFFECTS OF ACAI BERRY
- The safety of acai berries during pregnancy or breast feeding hasn't been established, and they can cause a rash or other reactions in people allergic to acai plants.
- The powerful antioxidant activity of acai compounds can also interfere with chemotherapy drug actions, so you should avoid acai berry products if you're taking these medications.
ACAI BERRY SUPPLEMENTS
- Vista nutrition acai berry capsules
- Vivid nutrition acai berry capsules
- Nature's Bounty acai
- Kiva organic acai berry powder
ACAI BERRY JUICES
- Da Yogis Immuno Acai (Natural juice concentrate)
- Acai berry & green tea by Mangajo
WHERE TO FIND