Petite in size but enriched with essential nutritional elements, seeds are the ultimate way to stay fit & healthy. They come in all different sizes, shapes, & colors if you're looking for a high-quality, nutritious, & filling snack. Seeds are tough to beat!
Seeds may be tiny, but they're packed with nutrients like protein, fiber, iron, vitamins, & omega-3 fatty acids. Let's view some benefits of a few seeds.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds:
Chia seeds are tiny black seeds that come from the plant Salvia Hispanica.
Chia seeds are packed full of healthy nutrients. They are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help to raise the HDL cholesterol (which is known as good cholesterol that helps to protect us against heart attack & stroke).
- Chia seeds are high in quality protein: They contain a good balance of essential amino acids [which the body is unable to make & they are obtained by food sources]. As compared to other grains & seeds the protein availability in raw chia seeds is high.
- Aids us in weight loss: The fiber in chia seeds absorbs a large amount of water & expands in the stomach. Due to which people achieve satiety earlier & the appetite reduces. Thus it is a good option for people with a large appetite.
- Chia seeds & heart health: Chia seeds are rich in dietary fiber & omega 3 acids, which help in reducing bad cholesterol & lowers the risk of heart attacks. Thus they have heart-protective properties as well.
Health Benefits of Garden Cress Seeds:
Garden cress seeds are also known as Halim in Hindi. They are locally available in grocery & ayurvedic stores. It is genetically related to watercress and mustard seeds, sharing their peppery, tangy flavor & aroma, the nutritive value of the same is very high.
- Helps in Iron deficiency: Garden cress seeds are very high in Iron and Folic acid. They help in managing iron deficiency anemia by helping the levels of iron in the body.
- Galactagogue: Garden cress seeds are not just high in iron & folic acid but also contain linoleic acid & phytochemicals which help to regulate the menstrual cycle & increase milk supply in lactating mothers. Thus garden cress seeds are advisable for mothers after their delivery.
Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds:
Hemp seeds have the most concentrated balance of proteins, essential fats, & vitamins. They belong to the genus Cannabis Sativa. It has been cultivated for 1000 years as they are a good source of fiber, edible gum, edible oil, edible seeds & lubricants.
- Helps in controlling diabetes: This is mainly due to the healthy fats present in hemp seeds which helps in the quick absorption of glucose from the bloodstream & converting it into energy. Thus reducing sugar cravings & increasing energy levels. Also, the protein & fiber in hemp combine to slow digestion, which prevents spikes in blood sugar & helps in controlling Diabetes.
- Helps in lowering bad cholesterol: It is a great source of phytosterol which helps in fighting bad cholesterol & also it is a great source of EFA'S i.e good fat, which helps in reducing the levels of unhealthy fats, thus preventing the buildup of plaque in the arteries.
- Hemp seeds & Weight loss: Hemp seeds are also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are said to have anti-obesity properties, thus snacking on hemp seeds can lead to increasing the satiety levels in overweight people or for those who are aiming for weight loss.
Health Benefits of Flax Seeds:
The seeds come from flax, one of the oldest fiber crops in the world - known to have been cultivated in ancient Egypt & China.
Flaxseeds, sometimes are called linseeds, are small, brown, tan, or golden-colored seeds that are the richest sources of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) in the world!
- Improves Digestive Health: The ALA in flax can help protect the lining of the digestive tract & maintain GI health.
- Helps in lowering cholesterol: In flax seeds, there is high fiber content termed as soluble fiber content of flax seeds, which traps fat & cholesterol in the digestive system such that it is unable to be absorbed. This soluble fiber traps bile also that is produced from cholesterol in the gallbladder, which is then excreted through the digestive system. Thus, forcing the body to produce more bile, exhausting excess cholesterol in the blood, as a result, lowering the overall cholesterol.
- Weight loss: Flax seeds are filled with healthy fats & fiber, which keeps hunger at bay, such that one will eat fewer calories overall leading to weight loss.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds:
With a wide variety of nutrients like magnesium, manganese, copper, protein, & zinc, pumpkin seeds are nutritional powerhouses wrapped up in a very small package. They can be consumed raw, roasted forms & many more.
- Heart Healthy: Magnesium in pumpkin seeds has been shown to benefit your blood pressure & help prevent heart attack & stroke.
- Boost Immunity: Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of zinc, which is important for burning fat & also helps in boosting immunity.
Health Benefits of Sunflowers Seeds:
Sunflower seeds are the gift of the beautiful sunflower. The flower produces greyish greenish & teardrop shape seeds. It is an excellent source of vitamin E & a very good source of copper & vitamin B1.
- Magnesium stores-As it has high levels of magnesium: It is known for soothing the nerves, thus easing away stress, migraines & helping the body to relax faster.
- Vitamin b1: It is a high source of Vit B1 that stimulates enzymes that convert food into energy & gives you a kick start to your metabolism, increasing your immunity.
Health Benefits of Methi Seeds/Fenugreek Seeds:
Methi or fenugreek seeds form an important ingredient in Indian households. It is a rich reservoir of medicinal properties that imparts many health benefits.
- Galactagogue: It promotes lactation & boosts milk production in lactating mothers. This is due to the presence of diosgenin in the spice which increases milk production in lactating mothers. It also helps in aiding menstrual cramps & pain symptoms.
- It lowers down your sugar level: Fenugreek seeds contain fiber which slows down the digestion of carbohydrates in individuals which helps in slowing down the rate of sugar absorption in the blood. Thus diabetics are advised to include fenugreek seeds in their daily lifestyle.
- Aids in weight loss: fenugreek seeds contain natural soluble fiber that swells & fills the stomach thereby suppressing your appetite & aiding your weight loss goals.
Health Benefits of Sesame Seeds:
Sesame seeds are very small in size. These flat oval seeds emanate a nutty taste topped with a delicate, almost invisible crunch. These seeds are high in calcium & thus, help in maintaining bone health.
- Healthy lipid profile: It is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids which cut off bad cholesterol [that is the LDL cholesterol] & improves the good cholesterol [that Is the HDL cholesterol].
- Antioxidant: It contains two main antioxidants that fight off harmful free radicals & boosts the immune system making it stronger to fight infections.
- Rich source of calcium: It ensures good bone health & prevents osteoporosis in later stages. Thus daily consumption of sesame seeds in minimal quantities can also help in maintaining bone health.
- Improves insulin sensitivity: It also contains magnesium which lowers blood glucose & improves insulin sensitivity, in diabetic individuals.
Health Benefits of Cumin Seeds:
Cumin seeds were highly honored as a culinary seasoning in both ancient Greek & Roman kitchens. It is an Indian spice that you shall find in every household for cooking as well as for some health rescues.
- Improves digestion: The component which is present in cumin seeds like essential oil & thymol are responsible for complete digestion by secreting enzymes & bile acids.
- Immunity booster: The presence of vitamin C in cumin seeds allows the spice to serve as an immune system booster as well as the Vitamin C also helps in improving the skin & hair of an individual.
- Helps in Respiratory disorder: The presence of caffeine (the stimulating agent), & the richly aromatic essential oils (the disinfectants) make cumin an ideal anti congestive combination for those suffering from respiratory disorders such as asthma & bronchitis. A piping hot cumin flavored drink serves as a good cough reliever to individuals.
Health Benefits of Black Pepper:
Black pepper comes from the berries of the pepper plant. They come in varieties such as Black pepper, green pepper, & white peppercorns. Black pepper is the most pungent & flavorful spice of all types of peppers & it is available as whole or cracked peppercorns or ground into powder.
- Relieves respiratory disorders: It helps in relieving respiratory disorders, coughs, & the common cold. It is consumed in form of herbal tea, health drinks, etc.
- Aids in digestion: The compound piperine present in pepper stimulates digestive juices & enzymes, which further aids in digestion.
- Aids in Weight Loss: Black peppercorns have diuretic properties because of which an individual tends to sweat & urinate more frequently. It is also rich in antioxidants & has antibacterial properties which further stimulate the breakdown of fat cells, thus helping the overweight to shed some fat.
Health Benefits of Fennel Seeds:
Fennel is a perennial herb that belongs to the parsley (Umbelliferae) family. It is an aromatic & flavorful herb that has several culinary as well as medicinal uses. Fennel seeds are known as saunf in Hindi & it is highly used as mukhwass in Indian families.
- Relieves water retention: Drinking fennel tea on a regular basis will help in flushing out excess fluids from the body as it works as a diuretic.
- Helps in boosting metabolism: Fennel seeds are a rich source of antioxidants & Vitamin C, which makes them an important part of our diet, as both the nutrients help in building a strong immune system by basic functions such as skin repair & boosting metabolism.