Greek yoghurt has become increasingly popular & has received recognition in recent times, particularly due to its inclusion in Mediterranean diets. The process of making Greek yoghurt involves separating the liquid whey, resulting in a thicker texture compared to regular yogurt. This separation also leads to Greek yogurt having fewer carbohydrates & sugar content while being higher in protein.
For those embarking on a weight loss journey, Greek yoghurt can be a beneficial addition to breakfast. It can be enjoyed with a handful of nuts, providing added nutrients without a significant increase in calorie intake. Consequently, Greek yoghurt offers advantages over regular yogurt. Let's delve into a deeper understanding of the reasons behind its appeal.
Let us compare green yoghurt to plain yoghurt
|PROBIOTIC CONTENT *(CFU)
*The Probiotic content of the greek yoghurt and plain yoghurt is as per 1 gm
BENEFITS OF THE GREEK YOGHURT DIET:
Protein is essential for good health. It is vital for cell growth, building muscle, & repairing tissue. Greek yoghurt is a great way to boost protein levels while avoiding heavy foods like meats.
Greek yoghurt is packed with probiotics. Probiotics are live (good & helpful) bacteria & yeasts which enhance the functioning of the gut. So you have got one more reason to switch to greek yoghurt.
THE B12 CORNER
Greek yoghurt is rich in Vitamin B12 which is necessary for energy metabolism & brain function. Most often, vegetarians experience a deficiency of vitamin B12, since it is primarily found in meat. However, Greek yogurt serves as an ideal, meat-free & probiotic solution to incorporate B12 into the diet.
Indulging in a refreshing bowl of chilled Greek yogurt topped with nuts & berries not only offers a heavenly taste but also delivers essential post-workout protein to the body. It nourishes the body & keeps it filled until the next meal. Moreover, its high protein content helps in repairing the damage done during exercise.
THE CALCIUM FACTOR
Greek yoghurt is a rich source of calcium & that is what makes it a good weight loss food. Calcium has been linked to regulation of the body's cortisol output."Elevated levels of the hormone cortisol can cause the body to store fat, inhibiting weight loss or other health goals. By incorporating more calcium into the diet, you can partially limit fat production in the body.
Incorporating Greek yogurt into your diet can prove to be your ultimate ally, as it not only offers a creamier texture & delightful taste but also provides a range of health benefits.
Here are a few simple & healthy Greek yogurt recipes:
- Greek Yogurt Parfait:
- Layer Greek yogurt, fresh berries, & granola in a glass or bowl.
- Repeat the layers & top with a drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of nuts.
- Greek Yogurt Smoothie:
- Blend Greek yogurt, your choice of fruits (such as banana, berries, or mango), & a splash of milk.
- Optionally, add a handful of spinach or a spoonful of nut butter for added nutrition.
- Greek Yogurt Salad Dressing:
- Whisk together Greek yogurt, lemon juice, minced garlic, & a dash of salt & pepper.
- Use it as a healthier alternative to traditional salad dressings.
- Greek Yogurt Dip:
- Combine Greek yogurt with herbs like dill, parsley, or mint, along with minced garlic & a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Use it as a dip for fresh vegetables or whole-grain crackers.
- Greek Yogurt Overnight Oats:
- Mix Greek yogurt, rolled oats, milk (or almond milk), & a sweetener like honey or maple syrup in a jar.
- Refrigerate overnight & enjoy it in the morning topped with your favorite fruits & nuts.
Remember, these recipes can be customized according to your preferences by adding or substituting ingredients. Enjoy your healthy Greek yogurt creations!